Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fourth of July Fun

This year for America's Birthday we went to Glenwood, Utah to stay at my grandparents' home. They were out of town, but my aunt Karen and her family lives there also. (Glenwood is about 10 miles from Richfield, Utah.) My grandparents live in the home that my great great grandpa built. It was built in 1904. My grandpa grew up in that house and has worked for many years to restore it. It is a beautiful old home.

We started out Friday by going to the big Richfield parade. It cracks us up because people from the town line up their chairs the night before and tie ropes through them. My aunt and I have always wanted to take a bobcat in the middle of the night and scoop them all up in a big pile- or rearrange everyone's chairs. We die laughing because it's not the big Maceys parade! But, I guess in small towns, that's the most excitement you get. :-)

Anxiously awaiting for the candy!

Logan's favorite parade entry.

My Aunt Karen and me.

Daddy's little princess!

After the parade we headed over to the park for the annual "Fish Catch." There is a fish hatchery in Glenwood and every July 4th they bring over a bunch of trout for the kids to try and catch. Let me just tell you- TOTAL CHAOS! Picture hundreds of kids running around and screaming in a little man-made swimming pool loaded with fish swimming around. Spence said most of the fish probably died of a heart attack or shock! Logan actually caught one. He was so excited. His first fish- and caught with his bare hands.

Can you find Logan? It's like a "Where's Waldo" picture. :-)

Logan with the Catch of the Day and with his cousin, Nick.
Nathan, Logan and Austin (cousin) with their fish.


The first day when we arrived, Karen asked the smaller kids if they wanted to go into the chicken coop and see if there were any eggs. Logan said "What's that?" Guess he didn't know what fresh eggs were. Then Claire came running up so we asked if she wanted to go help find some eggs. She said "Well, I don't have a basket!" My kids are definitely city kids! They had a blast gathering the eggs each morning and feeding the chickens.

Claire and Belle (cousin)

Logan and Claire- just a "one" egg morning!
Logan making sure the horses don't go hungry.

Logan barebacking it on Hemi.


Sunday dinner consisted of barbequed chicken wings. Mmmm - looks good Nick and Belle!

We came home on Monday. The kids had such a good time. They want us to move down there. I told them no way. I would miss my shopping, movies and going out to dinner too much!


Who needs Wheeler Farm when you have grandma and grandpa's house?!

5 comments:

Emily said...

How fun! I love it that Logan caught a fish. Did you eat them? I also LOVE Claire's "Easter" basket. It sure is fun to visit the "country" but I think I'm much more of a city girl myself.

Jen-ben said...

FUN!!

Brian and Kim said...

Great fun!!

Tera said...

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

Brian and Kim said...

Love your background!!!