Saturday, March 7, 2009

Tired of Technology

I am sitting here on the laptop and just getting a knot in my stomach. The tv is blasting in the front room. Claire listens to the tv sooo loud. I think she may need her hearing checked or something. Her and Nathan were just fighting on the couch. She seems to think that she needs the ENTIRE couch to herself. So Nathan goes downstairs....few minutes later I hear Logan screaming. Nathan and him are fighting over the Playstation. Naturally they can't play together. Star Wars is also blaring on the tv in the family room. THERE IS SO MUCH NOISE IN THIS HOUSE! I just feel like unplugging all the televisions, game systems, and computers and throwing them out the door. It seems like it has just gotten out of control. What has happened to simple family time that is quiet and productive? Does anyone else experience this? How do some of you monitor these things in your home? I find it so difficult, because if I put time limits on things- then I am responsible for providing the entertainment. Do I have energy for that? Have I gotten to be a lazy mom? I admit, sometimes it is nice to just let Spongebob babysit my kids.
It got me thinking to what I did as a child to entertain myself. I remember rollerskating in the street for hours (pretending to be an instructor with a bunch of "students" behind me), playing Barbies and paper dolls. My friends and I used to use record jackets to make our Barbie houses. We would open them up or stand them up next to each other to make different rooms in the house. We would always fight over the Michael Jackson Thriller one. LOL (This is really dating me...kids probably don't even know what records are now.) I also remember a home video where we made our own cooking show- on the menu was macaroni and cheese. We filmed ourselves making it. I don't remember sitting in front of the tv or video game for hours like my kids do. (OK, I admit playing Duck Hunt....) And Saturday was a special day- the only day when cartoons were on! Imagine that. I'd get up early to watch Smurfs and Pac Man. Now there's an entire cartoon channel.


I guess I just want to know if you put time limits on things for your kids and how you monitor it. Any advice out there? I'm sure things will calm down once it's nice outside and the kids aren't cooped up inside. Right???

6 comments:

Brian and Kim said...

We had the same discussion this weekend too. I am looking forward to spring and summer. The kids are so much happier playing outside and using their energy.

By the way, I've been meaning to call you this week. I had the chance to teach Calvin, Tyson and Claire's class last week. They are the best kids in Sharing Time and so much fun in class. Claire is absolutely adorable. Whatever you are doing, keep it up.

Skye and Jordon said...

I feel the same about technology. I've asked J if we could just go out and live off the land.. Yes, Katrina had her little one. Thanks for your comments about the pics.. it's a work in progress!! :o) hope your family is doing well!

Emily said...

I feel the same way, and yet I can't bring myself to put stringent limits on TV and computer because there are moments/days when I NEED it! Maybe I sound like a slacker of a mother - the type of mother that my mother and grandmother's generation would "tsk tsk" at, but there are just moments when I NEED my kids to just leave me alone already, and those are the moments I am grateful for technology. I actually feel like we achieve a nice balance naturally. Quite frankly, during the school week, Austin doesn't have a lot of time to sit in front of the television or play computer games, so I am more lenient on Saturday.

But, ultimately, you are right - I believe the problem will correct itself with summer. Two days ago (with new snow on the ground), Austin begged me (wearing a swimsuit and t-shirt) to go outside and ride his bike. He was very put out when I tried to explain the weather conditions, but agreed as long as he put on winter clothes. I guess it was too much work. He just gave up and continued to play his own little game called, "How loud can I make Macy scream?" It's a lovely game!

I need to go to bed. I'm rambling. Sorry you were frustrated. Remember...We are near the end of winter. Nice weather is right around the corner. Thank heavens!

Emily said...

Oh...And I love your comment about Saturday Morning Cartoons. We LIVED for Smurfs and Looney Toons on Saturday mornings, and I distinctly remember my amazing mother taking that opportunity to sleep in!

Amber said...

Last year at this time, our ward had a "technology fast." We weren't supposed to use the computer except for work, and weren't supposed to watch tv, play video games, use ipods or cell phones except for work, or go to movies for two weeks. It was to teach us to live without these "conveniences" that can dull us to the spirit, or that can simply create so much noise that we don't hear the spirit. And you know what? Jake and I were too addicted to our technology to leave it off! Not the kids- us!! Granted, we'd JUST had a baby- Abbie was born on day 2 of the 2 weeks- but embarrassing nonetheless!

I agree with Emily- winter is a hard time to police the tv and game time. Hopefully once it's warm your kids will be too busy playing outside to spend too much time in front of the tv. You can always make the rule that if they fight over the show or game, they have to turn it off. And good old fashioned board games are great family bonding (as long as the kids don't fight!!)

Valerie said...

In sacrament meeting today, the speaker mentioned some of the same frustrations about modern technology, but his comments were directed towards the grownsups! I know -- it's so useful to hang out on the laptop for me, and I can't imagine raising a two-year-old without a portable DVD player! I think our speaker may not have been TOO technologically savvy though, because he mentioned everyone having either a cell phone or a RASPBERRY. heh-heh.