Monday, December 28, 2009

Our Newest Source of Contention

Well, my mother bought us a new Yorkie for Christmas. (Don't freak- she called us first to make sure it was okay.) I guess we were caught in a moment of weakness because we said yes- we would take the puppy. He wasn't delivered until 2 days after Christmas. We told the kids about him on Christmas day and showed them a picture. They all screamed in excitement!

On the way to pick him up on Sunday, there was much discussion (aka...fighting) on what to name the new dog. Here are some of the names suggested...
1. Ace
2. Pepsi (don't know who suggested that one...)
3. Koda
4. Obi Won Konobi
5. Bubba
6. Captain Rex
7. Yoda
and I can't remember the rest...

And the winner was: Simon. I guess it seemed appropriate since the kids were playing Simon Says on the way there.

On the ride home there was much fighting on who got to hold the puppy. Naturally, Princess Claire won because she could scream, kick and cry the loudest. Simon has become her new obsession. She carries him around all day. He slept in her room in his crate. She awoke me at 7am to let me know Simon was awake. Let me tell you how fun it was standing outside in the cold in my jammies trying to get the dog to go potty. It is so cold out there that he just freezes up and stands there. So, the potty training is not going so well. Simon is not allowed to walk on my carpet. I don't think he even knows how to walk anyway since he doesn't get much of a chance. I don't need to have a new baby- just a puppy!

4 comments:

Emily said...

You guys should have thought about this about five months ago. :-) He is adorable! And even though I absolutely HATE it when people look at me with my twins and say this, I'm going to say it to you: "Better you than me!"

Brian and Kim said...

He is too cute! If you need a puppy sitter, just call")

cami said...

Hey! Love your newest addition!! For us, having a puppy has been one of the best decisions we have made, he is a delightful addition to our family and I can't imagine our lives without him. I wish the same for you guys. Yes, the potty training is trying but once they get it its smooth sailing. I always joke with Todd and the kids that Oliver is the only member of the family that loves me! It's true. Dogs offer such unconditional love, it's truly one of the things I love most about them. You guys are in for a lot of fun! Hope you enjoy every moment. Congrats!!

cami said...

Oh, and another thing. What you said about Claire carrying Simon around cracked me up. Have you ever heard of a comedian named Bill Engvall? He does a monologue about how his daughter (about the same age as Claire) got a new puppy and would wheel the pup around in her doll stroller dressed up in Barbie jeans and that the dog probably didn't know how to walk because the little girl would wheel/carry the poor puppy everywhere! It's pretty funny. Anyway...