Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Dreaded Question



Last night I was laying in bed with Logan after tucking him in. He was counting down the days until his new baby brother would be born. Then suddenly he spoke some of the most dreaded words for a parent...

"Mom? How do you get pregnant?"

Instantly, panic began to set in. A lump was forming in my throat; my heart was pounding. What would I say? "Umm....I will talk to you about it tomorrow. Right now you need to get to sleep."

"Ok, but it's something I've been wanting to know."

Whew! Dodged it for then. Surely he would forget by the time morning came around. WRONG! How could he possibly forget when I've got this huge belly staring at him to remind him?? He asked again.... All I could come up with for spur of the moment was this:

"Well Logan...I have eggs inside of me. Not like bird eggs- but a different kind. And when they are fertilized they begin to form into a baby."

His response: "Oh, ok."

Breathe a sigh of relief. That seems to satisfy him for now. So my question to all- when is the right age to talk about the complete birds and the bees? What do you say? Logan will be 8 in a couple of weeks. I will certainly not bring it up again until he asks- but I would like to be better prepared. I guess I must have blocked out that conversation with Nathan or how old he was, because I don't remember anything about it. Maybe I just referred him to Spence.....(which is a scary thought in itself- who knows what the hell Nathan knows about the birds and the bees then. LOL)

3 comments:

Jessica Barker said...

HA! Savannah asked mom about it (she has started developing a lot lately). When she and I talked about it, I couldn't believe I was talking with her abou it at her age...(9) but I was glad we cleared some things up because her school mates had given her some rather detailed information that I couldn't believe was a topic of conversation n 3rd grade. Made me wish I was smart enough or had the dedication to home school my children. UH! It seems only yesterday that she was born and I was raising her, and now she has become such a mommy spirit and truly helps me so much around here with the children.

Emily said...

Ask him what he thinks. That will give you a good clue as to what he knows. When we talked to Austin (a few months ago), he was really asking a lot of questions, so we asked him some. Like, "Have you ever heard of the word 'sex'?" When he said yes, we asked what he thought it meant. Then, we cleared it all up to the best of our ability. My mom about had a heart attack when she found out that we told him at eight! To be fair, I think that after I was engaged was a bit on the late side for her to broach the subject. Like Jessica said, it is everywhere and the kids are hearing about it earlier and earlier. Logan might as well hear it from you.

Good luck! Unfortunately, I don't think it's one conversation. I think this is the first of many.

Shauna said...

We haven't had to go down that road yet so I don't know when the right time is. Let me know when you figure it out and decide to tell Logan.... I'll send Caeden over to your house for his "talk" at the same time. :-D
I've heard there are some great books out there that can be really helpful.