Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Dirty" Little Secrets

So- I am airing out my "dirty" little secrets- all of the clutter in my house! I have been making a "spring cleaning" list in the back of my mind. It seems to be getting longer and more overwhelming the more I look around my house.

How does THIS happen??



This is the top drawer of our TV stand in the front room. It is crammed so full of books that I swear one of these times it's going to break when opened because it is so heavy. And I know I've cleaned it out a million times...



Below is my kitchen closet/pantry. The mess and disorganization of it is all consuming.
"Just shut the door and walk away..."


Here is below my bathroom sink. Open doors and throw it in. I'm sure there's some body sprays and half used lotions and soaps buried in there from Y2K.


Aahh...the neverending ironing pile. Some day I will get all those clothes ironed. Problem is- then I have to find room to hang them in my closet.


Speaking of closets....this is Logan's closet. I swear a Tazmanian Devil attacked it. I bought nice containers to sort out the different types of toys. At one time (about a year ago) it was nice and neat. Now there are legos, army guys, Happy Meal toys, crap, crap and more crap thrown everywhere. Once again...shut the door and walk away.

Now could anyone tell me how it is possible to find anything in this drawer? It's Claire's sock/tights/swimsuit drawer. Ugh- totally disgusting.
This is the cupboard I hate the most in my kitchen. If I need anything out of it- it's a 10 minute process because EVERYTHING falls out.

Now that I've gotten some of my clutter out in the open I'm sure that some of you are shaking your heads in disgust. (And I didn't even share a photo of our "junk drawer.") I wouldn't blame you- I shake my own head in disgust- and then I take a valium and turn on the TV. :-)
Question: Do any of you "spring clean" every year- if so, what do you do? Any time consuming tips and tips on how not to get overwhelmed? And if you don't- then please tell me so I don't feel so alone.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are so funny! In the past two months, I have actually cleaned out and organized my pantry (you couldn't tell now), completely gotten rid of almost everything under my bathroom sink (it still looks marvelous - it's only been about a week on that one), and re-arranged the girls clothing drawers. We must be on the same page.

I don't do any of this regularly - although I came from a home where Spring Cleaning was it's own season. I just figure that I won't have a lot of time for stuff like this in a month or so. My mother-in-law just sent me a book on simplifying our lives. The truth is, you are exactly right - who cares what exists in closets or inside drawers?!? That's why they close. It doesn't matter!!! Of course, organization has never been my strength (as my husband will attest).

So, just keep shutting the doors/drawers and enjoy the beautiful weather!

Young Family Adventures said...

I am thinking you are just as normal as the rest of us.... I chuckled knowing I did this same thing in the same places this last week (opened & shut the doors in disgust w/a bit of anxiety!)... One day at a time & 1 item at a time is my new theory. Make a list & cross 1 (big)thing off a day - or every other day... depending on your schedule. (That is how I am tackling it right now!!)

Cleaned out & disinfected the Fridge/freezer yesterday!! Woot woot!! I accomplished SOMETHING, 1 thing down - only about 2,000 more to go!!

Good luck with your "Spring Cleaning" - Hope you & your family are all doing well! :) Have a wonderful (rest of the) week! ~ Jeanna