Monday, November 10, 2008

My Red-Headed Temper



Over the weekend our family went to Glenwood, UT for my Grandpa Oldroyd's 80th birthday party. The entire family was there and it was so much fun to see everyone again. My mom and I were basically in charge of the food and setup of tables, etc. I borrowed a catering set up from my boss at Cosmopolitan Catering. He was so nice to let me use it. Saturday morning, mom and I were running around Walmart getting last minute food items. We were running behind and worried about getting everything set up and done in time. We loaded all of the sacks into my car- which was parked about 2 cars down from hers. She just left the shopping cart in the parking lot. (Calm down Valerie if you are reading this- I know it is a pet peeve of yours when people do that! 99% of the time she puts them away in the cart rack but we were in a huge hurry.LOL) Well, this guy (customer in parking lot) takes it upon himself to yell at my mother and tell her what a "lazy a**" she is for not taking her cart back. He was saying all sorts of things to her. I noticed this as I was getting into my car and my adrenaline and anger kicked in. I was so appalled that a man would speak to my mother that way. I did what my first instinct was and got out of my car, walked up to the man as he was getting in his car, flipped him around and PUNCHED him! I told him he would NOT speak to my mother that way. He started yelling a bunch of crap to me about how she sure has taught me well, blah blah blah. Yeah, she sure did- better than his mom taught him than to speak to a woman the way he was. I went over to the car and grabbed on to it. He thought I was going to take it to the cart return so said "Thanks for returning that cart." Well, he doesn't know me very well. I took that cart and stuck it right behind his car so that he had to get out and move it before he could leave. (And no, he didn't return it either.) The adrenaline was really kicking in me now so I got right in his face with my finger a pointing and said "If you EVER speak to my mother that way again I will HUNT you down and hurt you." GO GIRL!


So for those of you (Jen) who thought I was this shy, quiet little person- I do have a mean streak that is not to be messed with. Especially when it comes to my family. :-) So if you see me on the 10 o'clock evening news from the Walmart surveillance cameras being wanted for assault and battery- please don't turn me in. LOL
Pictures of our family fun to come in next post......

15 comments:

Emily said...

I love this post! Good for you for sticking up for your mother. I, on the other hand, am a big fat wimp who avoids confrontation at any cost. I wish I had the guts that you have.

Coby said...

WOW!!! That sounds like something I would do. (anyone surprised??)Good for you! I can't even believe how rude some people are. If anything, that guy should appologize to your mom. I would be proud of the way your mom raised you to stand up to people like that. Way to go!!

Jackie said...

I failed to leave a disclaimer that I would never teach my kids to deal with a problem using violence....although it was invigorataing to know that I could actually throw a punch!

Emily said...

Did it hurt your hand to punch someone? I've always wondered.

Emily said...

Oh, and I am DYING to know Spence's reaction when you told him. Please humor me. :)

Rose said...

oh my gosh! GO JACKIE! I would flip if someone talked to my mom that way! I don't know if I would have been brave enough to punch him though! You rock! I am also curious as to Spence's response!

Brian and Kim said...

That's awesome, Jackie!!! I'm sure your mom didn't know she had a body guard with her that day. I love that you stuck up for her.

Tyler and Jen said...

Oh...my...GOSH!!! No you didn't!!!
I wish I could have been there! Man! I hope I never get on your bad side!!! :-)
I too want to know what Spencer's reaction was. I've always wished I could just punch somebody...too bad for consequences...I'm glad he didn't punch you back...what a JERK!
Jen

andrea said...

AH!!! hahaha! GO JACKIE!! that is the funniest story I have heard in a long time! I absolutely loved it! If someone were to every talk to my sweet little mom that way, I would deck 'em in the face too! The nerve some people have. wow. it is actually appalling (spelling?) -- common sense for that man would be to just stop and move on in his little car.

Thanks for sharing that story! it was thoroughly enjoyable! What I wouldn't give to be a bystander! I can't wait to see the playback of life -- I'll be on the edge of my seat for this one!

Jackie said...

Spence's reaction- well he wasn't a bit surprised. He lives with me and knows how my outbursts can be. LOL And it didn't hurt to punch him. My arm hurt a little bit, but totally worth it. :-) His wife was sitting in the car the entire time- not saying a word. Maybe he's used to him acting like that all the time or something. She was probably afraid to get out of the car with two psychotic women screaming at her hubby. I am proud to say that I didn't use one swear word....

Laura said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I am very, very, impressed. I don't think it's a mean streak. I think it's a protective streak. Way to go!

I'm pretty protective too. I'm not sure I would have thrown a punch, but I sure would have been right in his face with a few words of my own.

Allyson said...

Yeah!!!! Good job Jackie! I can't believe you actually punched him! Where did you punch? I LOVE that you stood up for your mom that way...and glad you didn't get beaten up or anything!
I have a fiery temper myself. I'm calm and fine until I get pushed to the edge. On James' first day of kindergarten, I pulled up in the "drive thru" lane and got out to take a picture before he went in. One of the teachers told me to get back in the car. I told her, with boiling blood, that I wasn't getting back in the car until I had a picture of my son on his first day of school! Ask Anna, I was yelling at her (the teacher, not Anna). Not one of my most shining moments but I don't regret it either. Anna said she didn't know I had it in me.

Tera said...

I love it Jackie!! You go girl. I feel like I was more like this when I first got married. ask Curtis. I used to get mad at him for calling women "chicks". Even now if he slips and says it, he looks over at me. I'm proud of you for protecting your mom! Way to go

Paige said...

LOVE it! I don't know if my adrenaline would kick in that high, but good for you - that guy was a total jerk!

Jen-ben said...

hahahaha! That is so hilarious. I'm going to take you with me wherever I go for protection. :)