Friday, June 20, 2008

The Sugar Bowl



Last time I went up to Evanston, I took the kids to visit my grandma Davis. Lately I had been remembering when I was little and would spend the night there with my brother. The bedroom was right off the kitchen and grandma and grandpa would be up at I swear 4:00a.m. We would get out of bed and come into the kitchen and the table would be set with our cereal bowls, small glass full of orange juice, box of cereal (usually Cheerios) and sugar in a little sugar bowl. Grandma and Grandpa would be playing their morning game of cards- rummy I think. I remembered the sugar bowl for some reason. So I asked grandma if she still had this little purple/bluish dish with silver around it. She didn't know what I was talking about but assumed whatever it was would still be in the cupboards. I went to looking and discovered it and was so excited. I asked her if I could keep it and she asked why. So I told her of my memories of it.

Grandpa passed away from liver cancer about 10 years ago. I have fond memories of him. He retired from Union Pacific Railroad. He used to drive the steam engines. Every Sunday we would have dinner at grandma and grandpa's house until the family grew too much and we had to start coming in shifts. :-) In the summer grandpa would have big bbq's and we would have so much fun playing games in the backyard with all of the cousins.

When I was a teenager and early 20's I worked at my aunt's motel doing laundry and cleaning rooms. Grandpa did laundry there also- mostly to give him something to do. He is the one that taught me how to do it and how to fold the sheets. When I needed a day off grandpa would work for me, but still put his time down for me so that I would get paid for it. Sometimes when I would go visit him and grandma when I was a single mom I would get ready to leave and grandpa would slip me a "twenty" in my hand as I left.

Grandma retired from Wyoming State Hospital. She used to be a secretary for a doctor up there. She spends her time crocheting blankets, dolls, hats, scarfs, dishrags, etc. She used to enter temple extractions (?) into the computer. Her and grandpa served in the Ogden Temple for many years as temple workers. Grandma is very proud of her grandchildren and great grandchildren, and even some great great grandchildren. I think the total is 87 now.


I miss grandpa Davis very much and love grandma dearly.


3 comments:

Laura said...

What sweet memories, Jackie! ;-) Grandparents are a blessing. How wonderful for you to have such special ones in your life and to be able to pass these memories on to your kids. I love the pictures. Gosh, Boyd's dad is almost the same age. He'll be 86 in July.

Oh, LOVE the sugar bowl too! What a wonderful treasure!

Notaname said...

Hey mom, can you tell me EVEN more about grandma....I just love her so much!!!

Tera said...

Thanks for your memories Jackie, It makes me think of my Grandmas too. What a great treasure the sugar bowl is!