Monday, June 2, 2008

Happy Birthday Sweetie!

Today is my sweet hubby's birthday. I won't tell you how old he is cuz he'd kill me. :-) I only have 45 minutes to get this posted before it's officially not his birthday anymore. I'm running a little late! I purchased some new headphones and a portable docking thing for his Ipod. I was relieved that he actually loved it. Yeah! We BBQ'd some steaks with corn on the cob for dinner and had strawberry shortcake for dessert.

I was digging through old pictures in the garage to see what I could find of Spence. Here's what I came up with:



Aahhh....love those knee high socks. :-)

And this one I was wondering if he was auditioning for a part as a sunglass model or something. I'll have to ask him about this one.

I found quite a few more, but they all had different girls in them with him. I didn't want him looking at those in fear of bringing up any old feelings he might have had for them- I am the jealous type you know. LOL

What can I tell you about my husband of 6 1/2 years? He is the kindest, sweetest man I know. (Other than my father...) He brought me flowers the first time we met. Nathan instantly fell in love with him. I was so embarrassed because he climbed right up on Spence's lap when we first met. I thought Spence must think Nathan and I were so needy!

Spence can fix ANYTHING. It amazes me how he knows how to do everything. It just comes natural. His mom and dad always tell me how he would take things apart as a kid and put them back together. He was always cleaning things too and taking care of younger siblings. (He still continues to clean everything.)

Spence is definitely a "people" person. He talks to EVERYONE. I sometimes shake my head when he's on the phone with some of his clients because he will talk for hours with them and knows their whole life story. He is very outgoing and loves to meet new people. (Opposite of me.) He keeps us all laughing with some of the comments that he says. We call them "spencerisms" because they don't make sense- except to him. There are so many of them that I could do an entire post on them. Hey-maybe I'll do a daily "spencerism" post. :-)

Spence loves baseball. He was pitcher through high school and also played at Dixie State. (I've heard from his brothers that he had quite the arm and they wouldn't like to catch for him.) His class from high school was all very close and most of them still stay in touch. Here's a picture of us going to his 20 year class reunion from Murray High. (I'm starting to age him...)

(I was pregnant with Claire at the time.)

Spence is a huge fan of 80's music. That is totally his era. His FAVORITE band is Depeche Mode. I don't know how many times he has seen them in concert. He has dragged me to two of them. He has every album they have ever made. I put together all of the music for our wedding video. Well, Spence met with the videographer and had him sneak in a Depeche Mode song. Totally ruined the entire thing. It goes from Enya to Depeche. Ridiculous.

Spence is a loving father and very proud to be one. He is a softie at heart- and I know he'll kill me for saying this- but I think he really enjoys watching chic flicks. He always cries in them. He even cried in the ending of Ice Age! But, there's nothing wrong with a man who can show his emotions dear.

Proud daddy moment with Logan.



Proud daddy moment with Princess Claire.

This is starting to sound like an obituary so I'd better quit. ha ha ha. I love you Spence and know that you are such a blessing in my life. You came into my life at the time when I needed someone the most. Thank you for being my partner and friend. Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

Fauset Photography said...

That was so sweet Jackie! And I never would have pegged you as the jealous type :)
Jasper and I are always saying how genuinely kind Spence is. You don't meet many people like him. He's always so friendly and would drop anything to help someone.
You guys make such a perfect match!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Spence! I loved your obituary! It was such a nice tribute. I actually knew it was his birthday because Logan and Claire have been announcing for about a week now that it is "Daddy's birthday first, then Logan's."

You are both two of the most generous people I've ever met. Whenever I need anything (a moment away from Macy to trimming shears), I know you guys are always willing to help. I love having such great neighbors!

Spence and Greg should really get together - My husband is also a true child of the 80s. He likes Depeche Mode, but he LOVES INXS and OMD (and all those other bands that I am supposed to remember but I never can). When we got married, he absolutely insisted that we purchase a kitchen table with swivel chairs on wheels. I had to put my foot down on that one and welcome him into the 21st Century.

Anyway...I love, love, love the pictures. The knee-high socks are to die for, and I love the wavy hair!

Tera said...

Happy Birthday Spence!

There is nothing better that a proud Daddy picture, you can see the true love in his look. What a looker, I'd but those sunglasses!

Thanks for all your help the other day, We couldn't have done it without you. You guys are awesome.

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Spence!

What a sweet tribute Jackie. Thanks for all you both do and for being such wonderful neighbors.

Oh, and sounds like Boyd would fit right in to the guys who love 80's music club. He loves all that music too.

Valerie said...

What great pictures, and wonderful things to say about your sweetie!