Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What in the World....

is wrong with teenagers these days?? I was in Walmart earlier and was in the deodorant aisle. At the end of the aisle I noticed 2 couples- teenagers. They were looking at the pregnancy tests and deciding which one to buy. They were looking at the prices, etc. And they were all so happy and excited about it! I'm assuming it was probably just for one of the girls. (course you never know- could've been for both of them.) I just shook my head and thought "What is wrong with this picture?!" They couldn't have been out of high school. Do kids really understand what it means to be pregnant and have a baby? Do they think about the long term affects on their life? It's not just a cute little game of house. I guess it hits home to me more because I have been through it- only I was 21 when I had Nathan and was finishing my associate's degree. So I had a little bit of education that would get me somewhat of a decent job to support myself and my baby. I just want to tell these kids out there having babies how difficult it is. There are so many consequences to your decisions and your decision affects so many lives.

Have any of you seen the movie "Juno?" I loved it- it was so good. It's about this 16 year old girl who gets pregnant and considers abortion. She decides against it and decides on adoption. It takes you through her trials and how at high school- everyone can see her belly and know what she did. She gets mad at the dad because he doesn't have to be responsible- nobody can see what he did. Anyhow, the movie really hit home to me because.....(here it goes, I am totally opening up to my blog readers and friends) I gave a son up for adoption too. I have been down both roads- keeping a baby and adopting out a baby. (in that order.) Both were the hardest choices I've ever had to make. But, they have shaped me into the person that I am today. I have worked hard to overcome those trials and to better my life and to "Come Unto Christ" more. Giving my son up for adoption was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. But I had to have faith that I was doing the right thing. It made me stronger in knowing that I had to trust in Christ that I would be able to get through it. And I did! Anyhow, I know this is long so I will end it for now. I hesitated in sharing this because I know a lot of people can be judgmental and I hope that no one will judge me. I will share my adoption story on another posting if anyone is interested in it. My dream is to be able to help other young women who may be in the same situation that I was in. Someday I would love to go into social work in the adoption field. I feel I can help since I have been down both roads. Anyhow- I'll stop rambling!

My Four Beautiful Children - August 2007

8 comments:

Andee said...

Thank you for sharing that. I remember in sharing something with my bishop i was surprised that instead of saying something about me, he talked about how I could strengthen others through it. I'm sure others will be blessed because of you. You are amazing! I absolutely love having you in Young Women!

Jen-ben said...

I have wanted to see Juno!! I'll have to wait until it's out of DVD. I have had that very same experience, with these teenagers who think it'll be "fun" to have a baby. It's sad because I know so many women who are trying so hard to adopt. Crazy, and lame.

Emily said...

I already talked to you about this, but I really had no idea. It's so interesting what people are carrying around from their past. I really admire you. I think it is the most unselfish thing to give a baby up for adoption. And I haven't seen Juno yet, but I will definitely get it when it comes to Redbox.

Valerie said...

All of your children are beautiful! What an unselfish mom you are. I look up to you.

Tera said...

Thank you for sharing. What a brave thing you did. I often wish those teenagers could ask their future selves ( about 2 years in the future) if they would still make the same choice. It looks so fun to have a baby, but they don't think about middle of the night feedings and loss of your free time. I really admire you too!

Laura said...

Jackie, I too would like to thank you for sharing. You are a strong, loving, amazing person and all of your children show the same qualities in their beautiful faces. I can only imagine that it was the hardest thing for you to do. Juno wasn't really on my list of movies to see, but now I just may have to rent it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Jack, how they've all grown! You have always been one of the bravest people I've known. At the time I couldn't imagine having to make that choice, but what a wonderful gift you've given them. I know you will find a way to touch other lives through your own experiences. Love to you always.

Anonymous said...

Jack-this is the first time I have checked out your blog..wow your kids have grown! I can't believe it's been so long since I have seen them. I know your challenges and your sacrifices and I hope when I grow up I can be as good a mom and person as you are. I love ya jack!