Saturday, May 10, 2008

For the Record

I took Claire to Target to get a few summer outfits and some new shoes. Claire loves shoes. She got there and zeroed in on a white pair of sandals that were about 2 sizes too big for her. They didn't have her size in them. I finally convinced her that they were too big. I was getting a bunch of shoes for her to try on when she found the pair she wanted. She put them on and refused to take them off. I told her that she doesn't have anything to wear with them and that I didn't really like them. She was still stubborn and insisted on getting those shoes. She sat in the cart with her head down and her hair over her face. I told her I would count backwards from 5 and that I hoped she would make the right choice. I got down to one and she looked up at me and big tears were welling up in her eyes. She was so sad and heartbroken. Man! Why does she do that to me?? So naturally we came home with the shoes. I'm a sucker- I know. But, I just wanted to say that I don't like the shoes and did not pick them out. Spence said they look like "southern belle" shoes. But, Claire likes them so I guess that's what matters. So if you see her with them on and they don't match her clothes- don't think that I'm the one that dressed her funny. :-)

4 comments:

Anna said...

If it makes you feel better, Savannah just got a plaid pair of shoes that she and all of her friends had to have! So maybe she's just a little trend setter!-She looks adorable in her shoes, my kids rebellion usually ended up looking more like homelessness than anything else. I am just saving the pics for blackmail when they start dating...

Emily said...

It's true! She really does LOVE those shoes. And I don't think they're THAT bad! For the record: I have never once thought that Claire (or any of your children) have ever looked homeless. That doesn't mean much, though, coming from me. I cringe at most of Macy's outfits, but she is so proud of them. How can I object?!? I believe some of our greatest moments as mothers are often accompanied by rolled eyes. Happy Mother's Day!

Laura said...

I totally understand! Heather and I have had shopping trips just like that. I try to think of it trying to show her I can say yes to her choices and not so much that I'm a push over. However, we both kow that I'm pretty much just a push over. I know that some days Heather runs around looking like an orphan. What can you do? :)

Besides, Claire always looks cute!

Jen-ben said...

LOL! Claire is such a doll! I would have given in too! How could you not? :)