Monday, May 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday. My beautiful mom- what can I say about her? She is my best friend and I love her dearly. My mom has taught me about compassion, service and sacrifice by example. She got married when she was 17 years old and finished high school in Mississippi while my dad was in the air force. She had me when she was 19 (I think.) My dad was unable to be there because he was in Thailand in the Vietnam war. I think of how hard that must have been to be a new parent and not have your spouse there. She must have been so strong!

My mom went on to have three more kids. Growing up my dad was a member of the bishopric for many years, and then a bishop for four years. He was also on city council for two terms, and is on his third term of mayor. My mom has sacrificed being with my dad so that he could serve the church and the city. She also held numerous church callings. I remember when she was the Stake Young Women's Camp Director. I LOVED IT! It was when I was a young woman so I got to have my mom at camp with me. I also remember the 3 day adventure hike with her. It was so much fun.




Mom also taught me how to have fun. I remember her and her friends were on a bowling team and how much they enjoyed getting together. I also remember her and the neighbor friends laying out in the sun to get a tan and drinking "Tab." Some of my fondest memories was when I'd come home from school and she would have fresh baked cookies or bread waiting for us. Yum! My mom is an awesome cook. That's why I insist on having Thanksgiving dinner at her house every year. She loves to go all out- we always have a ton of food. Two years ago she made about 15 pies! You could say she gets carried away a bit. :-)

My mom owns her own copy/printing and gift store. She puts in so many hours and late nights that I don't know how she even gets out of bed in the morning! Some of the customers seem to gravitate to her and talk for hours about their lives. No matter how busy she is, she always takes the time to listen. I tease her and tell her she needs to charge for listening and for advice like Lucy does on Charlie Brown. :-)


Mom is always helping others out and thinking of others. No matter how tired or busy she is she will take food to funerals or those in need. She is also great about helping out all of us kids with whatever we may need. She is always there when you need someone to talk to. She has a way of making everything better. She is our support system and the one who comforts.

I love you mom and feel so blessed to have a mom and friend like you. Thank you for all you do for me and for all the laughs and the tears. You're wonderful!

6 comments:

Andee said...

I loved reading that! Your mom sounds great! What would we do without moms?

Anonymous said...

What we would do without moms.
1.dishes
2.laundry
3.ironing
*many cleaning jobs later*
76.Be loved for who we are.

Love you mom, love you grandma =')

Melanie said...

Loved growing up with your mom! I can still hear her laugh, it was so contagious. Never forget the powdered sugar incident after our sleep over....

Jackie said...

Melanie- my mom called me laughing last week because she decided to make waffles. She has those two stupid dogs now (sorry mom) and she had powdered sugar sitting on the counter. Well, she turned around and charlie (the dog) had powdered sugar all over him. He had pulled the bag down on top of him. She died laughing because it reminded her of that powdered sugar incident from the sleep over. :-) Nobody will ever forget that one I guess!

Laura said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful mom. I love all the Happy Birthday songs too.

Jen-ben said...

you totally look like your beaUtiful mom!!